Monday, February 7, 2011

ONE WEEK TO GO AND COUNTING!

So, last night I watched the game with some friends and there was not a Packer fan in the room. This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone since we were watching the game in Pennsylvania and I have found that most of us from this area have a fondness for the men in black and gold. Those of us old enough to have seen the great Steelers teams of the 70's and early 80's - when the Eagles sucked - would have preferred a different outcome.

I prefer watching games where I can assign good and evil based on a variety of factors. For instance, I always root against teams who wear silly looking uniforms - as in the Bengals or the Oregon Ducks. So, if the Ducks were playing USC, the Trojans would get my loyalty at least for the day. Evil is always assigned to teams like the Cowboys or the Colts. (I am still pissed at the way they screwed the city of Baltimore). When two evil teams play - I root for injuries. So, if two teams from the deep south are playing, an outbreak of cholera in the stadium would give me a reason to cheer.

With all of that said, there were no villains for me in yesterday's game. Both teams were original NFL franchises, both wear traditional uniforms, and neither team is owned by an elitist asshole like Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder. While I was rooting for the Steelers, I didn't hate the Packers, and I enjoyed the game enormously.

Aaron Rodgers showed that he has the right stuff. The Packer defense played a marvelous game, and the outcome could have gone either way late in the 4th quarter. Because of the noise of the crowd I watched with, even Troy and Joe didn't annoy me with annoying commentary - telling me what I already knew. The game turned out to be won by the team who made the fewest mistakes. The Steelers turned the ball over three times to the Pack who scored 21 points after the turnovers, and they deserved to win the game.

I hope that Fat Andrew was watching. Both teams used the RUNNING GAME! The Steelers were able to run all day, and the Packers did so as well especially at the end of the game. I thought that Andy might have been calling some of Pittsburgh's plays with the Steelers going to Andy's favorite pass to the sideline for no gain at least three times. I hope he noticed that neither teams defensive coordinator had been an O line coach. (Wonder why?)

Despite being hit at least 18 times, Rodgers gave us a display of accuracy that impressed the shit out of me, and he did deserve to be named the games MVP. Congrats to him and the Packers.

For many the reason to watch the game were the commercials. Every year, a big deal is made of them in an attempt to keep us glued in front of the TV instead of gorging ourselves during the timeouts. Overall I thought this year's commercials were average at best and left me wishing that Coke had rerun the Joe Greene spot instead of the drivel they went with yesterday.

The Dorito's spots showing a guy licking another guys finger, and then ripping a third guys pants off so he could lick the cheese dust was not only stupid, but could cost someone a broken nose if tried in real life. If someone ever did that to me (unless it was a beautiful woman) I would pick up the nearest blunt object and rearrange the molecular structure of the dude's face.

There were lots of ads for movies that won't be shown until September or later. The Fast Five spot featuring Vin Diesel was particularly annoying if only because it featured Vin Diesel. He hasn't done anything that wasn't dumb and stupid aside from Saving Private Ryan, in which he played a character who was dumb and stupid.

The Teleflora spot where the guy's love message was to tell his lady that she had a great rack amused me. Just what the lady needs to be told for Valentines Day.

I won't be drinking Lipton Brisk any time soon now that I have seen the commercial with Eminem. I would buy any product that executes Eminem in their spot. The other clown, Justin Beiber, should also be executed. Just what IS a Justin Beiber? Does he get beat up a lot? I certainly hope so.

I am not a beer drinker, but I did sit up and pay attention to the Budweiser spot with the dogs. No, I'm not into dogs - but the sizzling sister in the ad did catch my canine eye.

I've saved my favorite commercials for last. Pepsi Maxx won the commercial contest hands down, and I'd like to tell you why. In their first spot, we see a guy sitting on a bench with a rather attractive lady. In the middle of the brother's rap to the lady an extremely hot white girl sits down and catches the brother's eye, whereby the sister hits the white girl upside her face with the can she had been holding. Just awesome. For their next spot, we see a complete loser named Werner being bullied by a group of much-too-pretty boys. Werner then gets a can of Pepsi Maxx in his hand and throws a perfect Randy Johnson fastball into the groin of one of the bullies, who will now be able to audition for a soprano's role in any New York Opera Company performance. Werner will still not get laid, but at least one bully won't either proving that (once in a while) there is justice.

Finally we see a couple sitting at a table - each with a Pepsi Maxx in their hands. As they look each other over we can "overhear" what each is thinking. The guy, a sort of nerdy thing, keeps repeating that he wants to sleep with her while the babe is wondering about his net worth. The perfect commercial in that it reveals the truth about men. Yes ladies, that is what we think about all of the time. All men are truly dogs and while you sit there wondering if the dude is rich and sensitive and kind, the dude is thinking about doing you. He could care less about your net worth or if you have read anything more serious than Cosmo - he cares only about doing you.

So, football season is now over. No more Chris Berman or Chris Collinsworth or Jimmy Johnson to listen to and loathe. For me it means that the FOX network will not pollute my TV until next football season save for an occasional Saturday baseball game when the Phillies are being shown. The time to deal with Fat Andrew and rules designed to emasculate the defense is over for yet another year. In one week it will be time to hear the sounds of baseballs hitting catchers mitts, followed by the most beautiful sound in the world - the ball being struck by a wooden bat.

This long suffering fan can't wait and I will devote the next post to what I think is the best single season performance by a pitcher that I have ever seen in my lifetime. Until then, don't slip on the ice and stop wishing that they would have shown Danica Patrick really naked because if they had done that they would have also had to show a full frontal shot of Joan Rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment