Thursday, June 30, 2011

CLIFF LEE'S JUNE WAS SIIIIIIIIICK!!!

I have often been accused of being a negative person. I have been accused of not giving the home town baseballers their credit when they perform well - choosing only to emphasize when they play poorly. I won't waste my time defending myself, but will acknowledge the FACT that despite not hitting the ball with authority all season, they have just taken the series against Boston - something I wasn't sure they would do. Vance Worley, Michael Stutes, and Antonio Bastardo showed guts and talent tonight and the slumbering bats found a way to eke out a 2-1 win against a good Sawx team. Big Papi looked as bad as Superstar who by the way went 0-4 for the game. Great job by the YOUNG GUNS.

Kudo's also have to go out to Raul Ibanez who believe it or not was the offensive star of the game. I still think the guy is finished, but from time to time he gets the job done, and when he does I have no problem giving him the credit deserved.

Good teams win games like tonight. The Phillies are a good team with the potential to go deep in the playoffs. The season is only half over, so I won't open up the Kool-Aid just yet, but I do like the Candystripers chances to win another division title. If they can get healthy and stay that way, and certain players play the way they should I don't see the Mets, Braves, Nats, & Marlins catching them. There are a lot of ifs out there but I like their chances in the division.

I even like their chances tomorrow in sweeping the series given that Halladay is on the mound. The Red Sox bring Lester to the hill who, when on his game, can be tough. I wouldn't think that Howard will do anything against him because Howard sucks. Send him a copy of this post and perhaps he will get angry and find a way to man up and help the Phils win.

The last time a Phillies pitcher threw three consecutive shut outs, I was three years old and most of you hadn't been born yet. In July 1950 Robin Roberts did the hat trick thing - now Cliff Lee has one to his credit.

How sick is it that during the month of June Lee allowed ONE earned run in 42 innings for an ERA of 0.21. That combined with a streak of 32 scoreless innings makes Lee the MLB pitcher of the month and should earn him a spot on the NL All-Star squad. Lee is in some kind of zone, and while it is unlikely he'll be able to do this shit the rest of the year, I plan to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

There was an article in the Boston Globe this morning that reported that the Sox were over matched against Lee, and that they looked feeble. Yes they did, and that was before they met up with the young guns. What will the Globe say if Doc prescribes a complete game win tomorrow?

I have tried to keep this post positive from top to bottom. Sure, I said that Howard sucks, but sometimes the truth hurts. The guy is stealing his check and unless he turns this season around in a hurry, the Phillies will have trouble in the playoffs.

The ladies at my dance class wore me out tonight so I'll sign of and wish everybody a happy 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment