Monday, November 22, 2010

Have You Had Enough Football?

It is now 7:35pm here in the greatest city on the planet, and football has been on all day. I have the NFL RedZone channel so I have seen every fucking touchdown scored today. That's right - every single one! I like the channel, but I advise those of you thinking about calling your cable provider and adding it to the hundreds of channels you already get but don't watch never to watch it after you have enjoyed a bowl of your favorite plant product.

What happens is - you start to get interested in a game, and the bastards switch you to the Browns or the Bills because by luck they are in the fucking Red Zone. Then they switch you to some other game you care nothing about. Be careful.

I'm footballed out for one day, but I will have to watch the Eagles take on the Jersey Giants. That's right - they don't play in NYC, they don't practice in NYC, and the only connection they have to NYC is the NY on their helmets. We have a football team and New Yorkers do not!

While I am footballed out, I must say that I miss baseball enormously. The networks should be required to broadcast winter league baseball so I can keep my fix going. It hasn't helped that The Hot Stove hasn't meant jack to us suffering Phillies fans.

There have been some signings - Contreras being the most important, but other than that the other guys the Phils have picked up are of the type that Topps is not trying to find them so as to take their pictures for a card. Come on Ruben - do something.

I would like the something to be the signing of Jayson Werth, but I do not believe his next baseball card will be in a Phillies uniform. Instead we'll have to see if D Brown can cut it in the show. Perhaps Ruben ought to look at bringing Durbin back, since the pen is a little thin. But Ruben will do what Ruben will do when he feels like it, and knowing what we fans want won't even creep into his mind.

Much was made about bringing Ryne Sandberg back to manage the Iron Pigs, but there were other reach backs that didn't get the big press. Former 2cd baseman Mickey Morandini has been hired to manage the short league class A Williamsport Cross Cutters. Morandini had a few good years here, but I will best remember him for the way Harry Kalas pronounced his name. That was a joy. The other reach back was the hiring of Juan Samuel to be the third base coach. For those of you too young to remember his days as a Phillie - let me help you. The guy was a gamer. He could hit, play defense, and run the bases with the best of them in his day.

Unfortunately he was traded to the NY Mets for Dirt Dykstra who by all accounts was not then nor is he now a fine human being. I met the guy a few times, and felt slimey after every time.

At least Dykstra had some decent moments at the Vet, especially after he started taking all those vitamins - they were vitamins weren't they? The trade that still pisses me off is the deal made to bring Von (5 for 1) Hayes to the Phillies. In their infinite wisdom Phillies brass sent an all star second baseman Manny Trillo, 3 bums and Julio Franco to the Tribe for the above mentioned Hayes. Julio Franco went on to have a long and successful career, while Hayes ended up running a fishing charter boat.

Somehow the Phillies usually get the short end of the trades they make. (Most of the time - can you say Cliff Lee for who?)

Well I suppose I could move to the DR so I can watch baseball this time of year, but since that is not going to happen I am stuck watching the MLB channel. In my opinion it sucks big time. I wish Cal Ripken would give his brother Billy a job so I wouldn't have to listen to his drivel on the Hot Stove show. Billy is truly a moron who adds nothing of value. Spring training can't come soon enough for this long suffering fan.

It's almost time for the Mike Vick Show so I'll cut this short. Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the awesome hit Eagles two way star Chuck Bednarik put on Giants pretty boy Frank Gifford at Yankee Stadium. I want to see Eli take such a hit in tonights game. Gifford was out cold and wasn't able to play again until 1962. For those of you who care about such things there is a great article in today's NY Times about the hit. it's free at NYtimes.com and is worth the read. It speaks of an era when guys were allowed to hit - and that includes toasting the QB's after they had thrown the ball. The way things are going now the NFL will be playing flag football next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment