Friday, May 13, 2011

LOTS OF DRAMA!!!

So, I sit down at the computer because tonights Phillies BIG WIN over the Braves needs to be spoken of before I forget what is on my mind. Papa's delicate condition means that I cannot be held responsible for any misspellings, run on sentences, piss poor grammar or for saying something that offends anyone. Anyhow as I the machine is turning on I see on the MSN home page a story headline that Charlie Sheen is being replaced by some pretty male actor. DUH? Do they thhink that anyone gives a flying fuck about Charlie Sheen? They must. Then it dawns on me that MSN does market research to tell them the kind of stories we the people want to see. My god. If a headline about Charlie Sheen being replaced for a gig that he was already fired from is what attracts us, then our collective brains have finally turned to complete mush and there is no hope. We may as well give in to the oligarchy and thank them for whatever crumbs they choose to give us. Shit, why not put Blankfein on a 100 dollar bill instead of locking him up in a cell with John Boehner and throwing away the key. Boehner, you are full of shit. You speak utter lies and we are not all stupid. Please burn up in the tanning bed!

I digress. Wow, the LSF was really encouraged by the way the Phillies beat the Braves. I didn't watch the whole game because of the BBC mini-marathon of Law & Order U.K., but during commercials I'd tune in to check what was happening. I missed Superstars 1st inning 3 run shot, but I did catch him running his ass off in order to score. The dude was hustling hiss ass off, and this LSF salutes him for that. Of late Superstars game has started to firm up, and it has been noticed. I still don't like his Babe Ruth pointing happy horseshit, and he still swings at too many bad pitches, but if he start hitting home runs at a decent pace he will carry this team.

It is good to see the bats starting to awaken from their April slump, but what I really want to see is something like a 14 run outburst against the Braves this weekend. That would mean another series victory and could be the thing that gives the offense the confidence to start supporting the staff the way the staff has supported them.

Speaking of the staff. How 'bout the great job that the young guys did when they took over for Hamels. Worley, Stutes, and Bastardo all did what they needed to do giving Madsen the save opportunity. I never think of Madsen as having high heat, but tonight he was tossing some pitches up there at 95! Madsen wouldn't be Madsen without adding some drama, and he did it again tonight. Wasn't looking for any drama tonight, but at least he manned up for the final pitch. Madsen has not a certain killer instinct that I want in my closer, but until Contreras can come back - Madsen has to get the job done.

You all know how the LSF worries, and tonight my worry is about the closers slot. If the three young people can continue to develop, we will have an excellent long, and middle relief contingent. Based on the assumption that we have seen the last of Brad Lidge, I believe that we'll need to acquire a closer. (Do you think the Yankees would give us Rivera for Blanton?) With money being tight the Phillies will be hard pressed to acquire anybody decent without giving up some major league ready talent. To get a stud, Dom Brown might have to be included in a deal. I wouldn't want to be Ruben if he pulls the trigger on that kind of deal and, the Phillies don't win the whole thing and Brown becomes the next Griffey. (Sr. or Jr.) There would be no where on the planet where Amaro could hide. he would be hunted down and brought back for torturing by Dick Cheney.

Another problem I see is that the Phillies need to start having replacements ready to step in as the current guys get past it. Next year we will definitely need a new left fielder, and possibly a shortstop, so I would be careful what we are willing to give up now if the closers slot develops into a season long problem. Now, about Lidge. I believe that only reason that the Phillies continue to have Lidge on the 40 man 'in rehab' does not mean that the braintrust thinks he can come back and contribute. Lidge is making ten plus million this year whether he pitches or not. The Phillies are obligated to pay him, but have insurance written to pay them about 75% of his salary in the event that he is physically un able to perform. The insurance company can refuse to make payment until THEY are convinced that Lidge can't pitch. This forces the Phillies to play the game that he is rehabbing, and not finished.

So despite my fears, the team continues to winn a whole bunch more than they lose, and that is a good thing. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment