Wednesday, August 31, 2011

THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING!!!

So, the next time you are speaking with a Californian and they give you shit about how we here in the East reacted to last weeks 5.8 earthquake ask them when the last time they experienced an earthquake, tornadoes and a hurricane in the same week. They, of course have never had that pleasure. Just because every so often California gets hit with a quake that destroys homes, roads, bridges, and whatever else man has decided to flaunt Mother Nature with, why should I give them a special place in my sympathy box? I do not. I would further ask these folks why they continue to build shit on top of faults. Finally if they persisted in giving me shit, I would ask them how the Giants, Dodgers, Padres, A's, and Angels are doing? That should shut them up, and if it doesn't I might ask how the NFL franchise in L.A. is going to do this season.

I continue to be amazed at how our Phillies are doing. I'm surprised that a roster full of players who have spent time on the DL this season would be a contender for a division title. I marvel at how, when one of the principal players goes down, at how our role players have picked them up. Whether it be Martinez, Valdez, Mayberry, Worley, Stutes, or Bastardo, it seems as if the team doesn't lose a step when one of these guys has to play. Don't get me wrong, I am nowhere close to ordering up a mug of Kool-Aid, but I am enjoying watching this team play the kind of ball they have been playing and am particularly pleased at how they have been able to stay at least six games ahead of the Braves. We play the Braves next week and, if we can win or sweep that series, I believe another division title is in the bag.

How good was Halladay last night? Coming off an eight day break, the guy was simply spectacular. He was, of course, helped by an explosion of home runs - including two by the Moat Man. Howard went in to last nights game hitting an anemic .249 but, if he can continue hitting the long ball in between strike-outs and double play ground balls, I'll settle for that. He isn't worth anywhere near what the team is paying him but as much as I'd rather have a guy like Votto playing first - that ain't gonna happen. All I can do is hope that Howard can contribute they way he did last night, and that he won't succumb to screwing up when the chips are on the line.

The college football season gets underway this weekend with most of the major powers playing schools like Bumblefuck Tech or North Carolina AEIO&U. As an example, I call your attention to the big battle in Ohio which has Akron traveling to Columbus to be fed to the Buckeyes. OSU should lose BCS points for this game no matter what the outcome. And then there is Penn State who opens up against Indiana State. The Lions schedule is insulting. They can find a spot on the schedule for ISU, but not Pitt. Some of the best games ever played were the contests between Pitt and PSU and I miss the rivalry.

For some, the quality of the schedules means not a thing. Let the games begin means it's once again time for ACTION - and I don't mean on the field. Out at the beer store in Strafford, my old buddy Johnny Dollar is probably frothing at the mouth as he digests the point spreads for this weekends slate of games. While his brother Big Tommy (a degenerate gambler in his own right) sits out the first week of action so that he can get a better handle on the teams, Johnny will bet at least a dozen games and will probably pick a team like Akron to cover the spread if Jackie Da Bookie gives him enough points. The games start Thursday night and by Saturday, Johnny will be looking for games to get himself out of the hole he finds himself in after Thursday. Johnny will check out the TV schedule so that he can bet on the late games from the WAC that are being shown on the tube. On Tuesday, Johnny will have to come up with money for Jackie Da Bookie or Jackie will send a couple of his employees to see Johnny on Wednesday. Some things never change.

I hope everybody got through the storm in one piece but, if you still do not have power, remember that Abe Lincoln never had power, and that he managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment