Saturday, January 15, 2011

CALL THE BOOKIE - I'VE GOT SOME LOCKS!

The temptation was for me to be satisfied with my first playoff week record of 2-2 and leave this weekend to those who know what they are doing. In my fantasy betting I'm down the vig, which for those not in the know is the 10% premium the bookies collect from losing betters. In other words if you bet a dime ($1000) and win, the man pays you $1000. If you lose you pay the man $1100 which includes the 10% vig. Successful bookies try and have half the action on either side and thus guarantee themselves a 5% profit.

As I have mentioned previously, I stopped betting when it became apparent to me that I was one of the guys the bookies loved. Over the years I have paid a bunch of vig, which means when it comes to picking winners when point spreads are introduced I am challenged. But, I will continue my playoff picks for your amusement and remind you that if you want to cash in - bet against my picks.

Saturday Games:

Ravens @ STEELERS: I love the game, and have to go with the black and gold. Both defenses should be fearsome and perhaps Fat Andrew and his staff could learn something by watching how defense should be played. On the field today will be d-backs who actually can tackle people. Asante Samuel should be forced to watch guys making tackles. It will be a joy to watch a game without having to hear Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. Take the Steelers.

Packers @ FALCONS: The Packers are playing good football of late, and their defense, led by Matthews and Woodson, will surely try and blitz Ryan to an early exit. However, the Falcons are tough to beat in the city where the kids have to go to school on Martin Luther King Day and I believe they will prevail in the Cracker Dome or whatever they call the place they play. The long suffering fan hates indoor football almost as much as he hates the west coast offense but I have to call 'em as I see 'em. I'll root against the Falcons for a variety of reasons including the silly feminine sleeves they wear. I'm not too keen on people wearing blocks of cheese on their heads (Halloween excepted) either and would enjoy seeing some of them beaten. Take the Falcons.

Sunday Games:

Seahawks @ BEARS: By all that is holy, the Monsters of the Midway should have an easy time of mauling the Seahawks. That the Seahawks are even playing this week is amazing considering just how much they suck. The Bears are not much to watch when they have the ball, but do play some very nice defense. They just keep hitting people and should, if allowed by the zebras, maim Hasselback so badly that he'll never want to play football again. Once again I suggest that the Fat one and his defensive staff be bound and gagged and forced to watch how defense should be played. Take the Bears and the cash.

Jets @ PATRIOTS:

If you have been following the pre-game rhetoric you have noticed that Rex Ryan has once again demonstrated his advance case of hoof-in-mouth disease, and has enlisted Cromartie to make stupid statements about New England. The Pats have spent the week mostly silent, but I imagine Bellichek and his guys will do their talking on the field. Tom Brady is in my opinion the best QB in the game today and he and his balanced attack should prevail this week. Sorry Rex, but at least you'll be able to spend more time with the feet after Sunday. Take the Pats.

Perhaps you have noticed that the remaining playoff teams all have a few things in common. They all play defense well, and they all run the ball. (Pay attention Andrew) I'm not talking about the back-in-my-day 3 yards and a cloud of dust stuff, but rather the use of the run to both set up the pass and to protect the QB's from being hit 30 times a game. When defending against a team that runs the game - defenses can't blitz on every down because doing so leaves themselves vulnerable to draw plays that can turn into big gains. Another plus factor for teams that run the ball is that a running game is easier for the O-line. Run blocking is easier than trying to protect the passer from defenses that know you are going to pass 287 times. This means that the O-Line is not dead tired late in the game and the QB has a better chance of still being alive late in the game.

It is so sad that we here in Philly have to watch Fat Andrew go out of his way to prove Einstein's definition of insanity correct each and every week. For those of you who don't know, here is Einstein's def of insanity: "Doing the same thing that hasn't worked over and over again and expecting different results is insane." Sounds like Andrew and his insane attempt to win a title with his dink and dunk offensive game plans. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired listening to Andrew tell me that he has to do better.

With a mere 31 days until pitchers and catchers report I am starting to get excited. My hopes are high that someone will emerge to play right field, that we won't need middle relief, and that Rollins, Utley, and Howard will hit-it-where-they-ain't like they used to do. No pre-season red kool-aid, but after watching Fat Andrew and his team implode and having no winter teams to get excited about it will be nice to hear the crack of the ball coming off the bat.

Enjoy the games!

No comments:

Post a Comment