Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Baseball Gods Are Smiling

Wherever the Gods of Baseball live they are having a grand old time setting us up for some very HIGH DRAMA.

I only care about the drama that can make me tense up and pace the floors. Our beloved Phillies have the potential win Obies and Tonys with all the drama they are likely to be involved with.

This upcoming series has Pat The Bat Burrell coming back to Philly. You remember Pat - he's the guy who kept coming back to team events even after the team said leave! Tampa lets the guy go in mid-season and after hooking up with the Giants he becomes a hitter. In less than a half a season the son of a bitch hits 19 homers including one here in his first at bat against the team that cast him away. I wonder how much Pat would like to beat the Phillies? You know, the team that replaced him with a guy named Raul. The Phillies replaced Burrell with the only gut named Raul who isn't a hairdresser.

Lets not forget a guy named Rowand. Here's a guy who smashed his body into an unpadded wall and wiped himself out for the team that replaced him with a guy from Hawaii who should never think lest he hurt himself. I'll bet Rowand would like some payback.

The Gods would love to have one of these guys beat the Phillies, preferably in a game 7 here in Philly. That isn't my prediction, but as the long suffering fan that I have been, I can remember a time when the Fightens couldn't beat the Giants on any given day, except When Roberts was pitching. Tom Qualters couldn't beat the Giants or anybody else for that matter. Qualters was supposed to be a stud, a mans man of a pitcher. Look him up, you'll see a record of pure futility.

The Giants of that era had good pitching just as they do today. Even I love Linscecum. Hey the guy got arrested for possession of weed in his car. Dock Ellis was enraged from heaven that the guy would be even bothered. Dock thought Linscecum was a lightweight. Dude, until you pitch a no no while on LSD, don't think a little weed in the car means shit. It ain't nothin. But the Giants of my youth had some characters pitching for them.

The guy who stands out most to me was born Salvarore Anthony Maglie in Niagara Falls NY. He looked like Sal from Brooklyn must look like when he's calling WFAN to suggest that the Mets testosterone levels be checked. Sal Maglie pitched for all 3 NY teams and had the nickname of Sal The Barber. He wasn't a barber in the off season. He got the name because he gave hitters a close shave with a respectable fast ball. He sported a very heavy five o clock shadow when he pitched and looked mean. He pitched mean. What an ugly man he was. Must have scared the shit out of the Phillies back then. The guy retired with 119 wins 62 loses and get this a 3.15 era. Sal The Barber Maglie would led the league today in being tossed since they made throwing chin music illegal.



Texas Ranger stud Cliff Lee may have bit of a good time planned for the Phillies if the Rangers can beat the Yankees. Imagine how the Gods would love to have Lee beat Halladay in game seven of the Series here in Philly. I'm not predicting that, but it would be so Philly. If Lee wins a game seven here I wonder where Amaro would hide. He wouldn't be able to show his face, I don't know how the police could protect him.

I would write more, but it is getting late and I have to get my beauty rest for my dance class tomorrow night. It never fails to amuse me that sisters pay me to show them how to shake what they should already know how to shake. There is something quite nice to see a woman who knows how to dance step to Marvin Gaye doing "Let's Get It On".

Lastly look up who was the first Phillies Bonus Baby. I'll be commenting on just what a total flop later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment